Wednesday, November 4, 2009

From Paris to Berlin

Paris was a very short trip, one day. I think it was enough for me though. I got to see the Eiffel Tower, stand in front of the Louvre, gaze at the gargoyles at Notre Dame and eat a chocolate filled crepe. The best part of the afternoon was a little park in front of Luxembourg Palace. The leaves were changing colors and the weather was mild. People were just hanging out in these chairs spread all over the park. They were metal and some were modeled in a reclining fashion, so to get our local experience we lazed around in reclining metal chairs and enjoyed the sunshine. It was a great way to relax and just enjoy being in Europe.

Berlin!!
I am so glad I decided to stay 4 days in Berlin! It was by far my favorite city and I can't wait to go back. I think the reason I enjoyed being in the city so much was because it brought everything I had learned in German class to life. I got to see and touch the Berlin Wall. I got to walk were Checkpoint Charlie was. When looking at buildings and the overall atmosphere of Berlin you could tell when you were in the east side or the west. We got to stand on Hitler's Bunker and see where he worked. I took pictures in front of the Brandenburg Tor.
Something that did take me by surprise was the lack of touristic attractions. There were the typical tourist shops with souvenirs, but only a few. Nothing compared to Barcelona, Rome or Paris. The city was not designed with the intention of drawing big crowds of tourists. Yes, tourists came, but not in the same numbers as other capital cities. It was great. There were more local people walking around and tons of German being spoken everywhere. Another shock was how much English was in the city. Most signs had English right next to the German. It was nice, but it didn't challenge my German skills quit like I thought it would. I definitely got to speak German (I purchased my train ticket home all in German), but most people knew English if I got into a problem.
Berlin was also a very inexpensive town. They have grocery stores called Netto. Greatest thing ever! except they don't have microwaveable popcorn Have you ever had a craving for something and you can't find it, microwaveable popcorn! My host family doesn't have a microwave, so when our hostel did, my first thought was, perfect lets have some popcorn tonight. This was a lot easier said then done. I may have to have my host mom show me how to make some on the stove top, because typing this is making me want some now. : )
The other great thing about Berlin are Backerei. The sell delicious pastries and breads and their coffee tastes as good as a local coffee shop, but half the price. I had a pastry the last day that resembled a pecan pie. It was great! Pie for breakfast! or a late night snack which ever you prefer.
One of the funniest things I saw, was will sitting inside one of the Backerei on the main Alexander Platz. (Alexander Platz is the main square on the east side of Berlin.) The WWF, World Wildlife Foundation, was trying to raise awareness by talking to people that walked by. But they were having a very hard time getting people to stop and talk to them. It reminded me a little bit of Chi-O clock at OSU. You avoid that place in between 11 and 2, because you don't want people to had you fliers. It was the same thing here. Well two of the guys got a little bit fed up with people ignoring them so they began tag-teaming people and ambushing them. When a person would walk by they would trap them, almost like in basketball when you try and trap your opponent. One of the guys would step directly in front of the person and the other guy would walk to the side they were trying to get around. This approach was almost worse than just talking to the people. I laughed so hard when they started ambushing people! That was truly one of the best people watching experiences.
Another great thing about Berlin is the wurst stands set up everywhere! All the wurst and sauerkraut you can handle!
The hostel we stayed at was excellent: U Inn Berlin. We had great beds and the showers stayed hot the whole time you were in them. I can't think of any new lessons I really learned in this one. Pretty much a compilation of past findings.
1) The people working the front desk have great tips for seeing the city.
To see all the major sights if you have a bus pass take 100 from Alexander Platz to the end of the line and then take 200 back. Take your map/travel guide with you and read about the sights you pass.
2) If there is a kitchen use it. They have pots and pans for everyone to use. A good lesson here is either make breakfast and lunch or breakfast and dinner and spend money on one nice meal a day. We had spaghetti one night. This is also a great way to meet other people in your hostel. Most of them are traveling Europe and have great tips on what to see in other cities or tips on what to see in the city they are from.
3) Talk to the people in your hostel. You never know when you will stumble across a great piece of traveling advice or just meet someone interesting.
4) If you are nice to the people at the front desk they will let you keep your bags there and still use the facilities even if you are not staying there one more night. This is great when you have to check-out at 11, but your train doesn't leave until 8 that evening.

Enough for now. I have to say I loved traveling and see all the different cities, but I almost wish I would have spend my entire 2 weeks in Berlin and done day trips away from the city the last few days. I know now though that Germany is the country I want to explore more and see what else it has to offer.
I was glad to be back in Salzburg, but not for classes to start back up. Ben your care package has been the highlight of my week!

1 comment:

  1. Berlin represents the development of a new Europe and the connection of east and west through the Brandenburg Gate. Of course, it is also the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall -- and we should always remember the cost and joy of such an event. My first trip to Germany was Berlin -- and my first connection to Silesian (former province of eastern Germany now part of Poland) culture there. Loved it! The last of the museums on Museum Island will reopen in 2010 (all were closed in 1943 during the war) -- and I hope we can return after the last re-opening. I'm pleased to hear that you went to Alexanderplatz and eastern Berlin -- for you were able to see how the city is gradually becoming whole again! I know that our family traveled through Berlin because of their immigration documents. So -- you are now completing a circle that represents the centennial year of our family coming to the New World. While I'm grateful to be an American -- it is very moving and touching to know what our family left behind. In the name of all of the shoulders we are standing upon (such as our parents and grandparents) -- you have done their memory and our family proud! I could not be more pleased!

    So -- I hope you savor the desserts and delicacies of the European Union in Berlin -- for there's nothing quite like it here in the United States unless it's from our own family kitchens (my grandmother Olga and your grandmother Freda know how to make house a home!).

    I'm glad my care package arrived safely -- it was rather fun to put together! Do you need anything else? Hugs, Ben

    ReplyDelete