Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Beginning


Two years ago I traveled to China on a mission trip. While there we visited a school. I never fully understood the connection, but we spent the afternoon talking to teachers and students. By the end of the day the vice principal asked if I would be interested in a job when I graduated. She was this amazingly adventurous Australian lady who instantly made you feel welcome. I love traveling and adventure so right off the bat I told her yes. We emailed a little when I got home, but I wasn’t going to graduate for another two years, so I put it to the back of my mine.
This past February I received an email from the Australian asking if I was still interested in teaching English at CHES. So I filled out the application, but at the same time I kept other options open. When it came right down to it none of the other options were working out, so I pursued working in China.
I was accepted for the position, but waiting for a contract took well over a month. When the contract arrived I received a big shock with it. I was going to be a Kindergarten teacher. When filling out the application and communicating with the Australian I had assumed high school age, because that is who we talked to and that is where she works.
As of right now I have a plane ticket, a visa, suitcases, dresses and supplies. I leave in a little over three weeks and I’m not sure what I am getting myself into. The contract is vague and the school has told me very little as to what my job will really entail. It is a waiting game until August 23rd now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment