Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Day 1 of Class

I had my first day of class today. My only class was Understanding Austria and we have 4 long books to read by the end of the semester : (
Then lunch! and a breif meeting with my hiking and rafting instructor. He speaks little English and with a thick German accent. He is a legit lumberjack!
Afterwards a group of us walked around the city b/c the boys wanted beer. Mind you it was 3:30 in the afternoon and they had a specific pub in mind. It took walking up to the castle/fortress and then back down and realizing we turned a 10 min walk into a 30 min excursion, but we eventually made it to Stiegl Keller. Stiegl is the local beer and Keller means basement, however, we were on the roof of the building : ) We were able to have a table that overlooked the city and the view was amazing. Moments like these are amazing, sitting around with good friends laughing and joking and looking around at a beautiful old city. It takes your breath away sometimes, but in a good way!
I went for a run yesterday afternoon, because the weather is fantastic, shorts and a t-shirt are perfect, a light jacket in the mornings and evenings. My run took me across an open field that was a straight shot view of the mountains with nothing in the way and then down a local street with kids playing, elderly people chatting and goats in someones front yard!
Tomorrow my host mom is going to start showing me how she cooks some of her food. We are just making spaghetti, but if her sauce tastes like the rest of her food when I get home everyone will want me to make it for them. lol I found out today she also makes her own apricot jam! no wonder it tasted so good

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you can read those books while you're rafting and hiking. Dad:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work. Grandmother

    ReplyDelete