Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Oktoberfest

I went to Oktoberfest over the weekend!
It was actually a lot of fun during the day. It was like a state fair times about 100. The main focus was definitely beer, but there were booths selling food and all kinds of rides. The beer "tents" were actually buildings that they construct specifically for Oktoberfest. You have to make a reservation well in advanced to get in one. Some of the guys we went with waited outside for over an hour to try and be one of the lucky ones that get in without a reservation, but they had no luck. For the rest of the people there were beer gardens outside with big tables. I went with Kara, Amy and Hannah and that is where we found ourselves for most of the morning. We arrive about noon and spent the afternoon talking with people from France, New Zealand, Scotland, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. We were at the Lowenbrau "tent" or the Lions Brew. It was fun just talking with everyone. We got traditional Bratwurst and Sauerkraut for dinner and walked around for the rest of the evening and headed back to Salzburg.
The craziest part of the experience was wearing my dirndl. When I had it on no one believed I was from America. They were all convinced that I was German and people wanted to take pictures with us! I knew enough German and the conversation was short enough that I convinced a lady that I was Austrian.
My German has definitely improved enough that I can do basic things in German and no one reverts to English with me. It is nice. I feel like I'm fitting in more.

No comments:

Post a Comment