Thursday, September 16, 2010

9.16.10


We have been going over the body and I read Eric Carle’s book “From Head to Toe” today. It was so much fun. His pictures wowed them. I had to wait a good minute to read the page, because they were so excited about the pictures. There is an animal on each page and you go over a body part, the first page is a penguin and you turn your head, a monkey and you wave your arms. Well one of the pages is a donkey and he kicks his legs and the picture has a girl kicking her legs behind her. In one of my classes they got really into the book and were doing this action and it was so funny to see all 35 of them kicking their leg just like the picture. I wish that I had a camera, but just know that they looked great. We have also been singing “Head and shoulders knees and toes” and it is by far their favorite song we have sung. I think it is because of the motions. You aren’t just using your hands, but you get to move your whole body. I do have to say though that the girl that sings has a really high voice and I can’t sing anyways, but to try and sing with her is impossible. I’m going to have to remember next time to find singers that I can sing with. I just mouth the words when she goes that high.
The book with the young ones was to much. I would have thought they would have gotten a little more, but oh well. Life goes on and we sing our song.
     I went exploring with Helen to a new part of town this evening. It is more what I would call downtown. There are a lot of shops and big hotels. I didn’t take my camera, but this places needs some pictures, especially at night. I would compare it to Vegas. I’ve never been to Vegas, but I’ve watched enough CSI that I’m pretty confident in saying this. There were neon lights all over the place and tons of people everywhere. One of the places we went to is called Walking Street. It is one of the few places in Zhongshan that cars aren’t allowed on, which is really nice. Walking Street is basically a strip mall, but a little more classy. It is the part of town that a lot of Europeans inhabited a back in the day. I’m not really sure how far back, but I would say about 100 years ago. The buildings along the Walking Street look like they could be from Europe. It is quite a difference from the rest of the city, because the rest of the city has this weird tile on the outside. If you look at the picture of the Primary School that is what most of the buildings look like, but not on Walking Street. They are more elegant and stucoed-ish.
     There is a McDonalds on the end of Walking Street and as me and Helen got closer we saw a group of people standing around right outside of the McD’s. Then we noticed a few police motorcycles and I peered into the circle and there were two guys sitting on the ground. It looked almost like they had stolen something from the McD’s because the policeman was holding a McD’s bag. Then I noticed that both men had their thumbs zip-tied together. Instead of handcuffs the Chinese law enforcement uses zip-ties.
     Me and Helen took a rickshaw back to our apartments. It is really fun to ride in these things, you really get to see a lot of the city this way. I highly recommend it! We passed one of the parks and there were loads of people out dancing and playing badminton. The parks all of “playground” equipment, but I see more adults using it as exercise equipment than I have little kids playing on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment