Friday, September 10, 2010

Teacher's Day


     Today was Teacher’s Day. I got a carnation from one of the moms and the school gave all of the teachers Mooncakes. I was told by a few of the teachers that the moon cakes we got are sweet, good and contain an egg yoke. There are other types of moon cakes, some have meat in the middle and are salt and some have nuts and are sweet, but ours have egg yokes. So at lunch I started eating my moon cake thinking that when they said egg yoke, they meant that the yoke was mixed into the filling. There is a breadish outside and then sweet bean paste on the inside. So I’m eating and then all of a sudden I look down and I see this bright orange matter peaking out of the bean paste. I nibbled around it and discovered it was the egg yoke. And I mean the yoke. They had baked just a hunk of egg yoke into the middle of the moon cake. Not mixed in, just whole. The yoke isn’t sweetened, so if you don’t want a nice bite of almost bitterness, don’t take a large chunk of the yoke, it doesn’t end well.
     We sang “If your happy and you know it” in my N2 classes and just singing and doing silly motions keeps them really entertained.
     I’ve been teaching the kids high fives and they love it. It is our new favorite thing. They all want to give high fives as they leave the classroom. Yoda even gave me a high five. He looked at my hand like he was contemplating the deeper meaning of a hand, but then slowly gave me a high five. He smiled afterwards and gave me a small wave and then went back to his normal expression of not quite a scowl, but a deep concentration of the meaning of life.
     I received a few basic supplies from the school today such as a few glue sticks, a few child safe scissors, a stapler and 12 boxes of colored pencils and a small sharpener. I was so excited about the colored pencils, because I had been using my markers with the kids in the afternoon and one of my tables is covered in all different colors now. I figured pencils where also better than crayons, because they would melt in my classroom over the weekend without the air conditioner. So I open up one of the boxes to get it ready for my afternoon kids only to find that the pencils weren't sharpened and the only sharpener they had given me was a small inch long thing. So now I have 144 colored pencils that need sharpening and only a small sharpener for them all. I know what I'm getting at Fu Mart this weekend : ) Oh and all of the pencils say Made in China on them. How fitting.
     Today was my last day to roll mats! Hooray! One of my groups was so restless, they could tell it was Friday, so I let them just play and goof off with the mats after we had rolled them up. I showed them that they could look through the whole in the middle of the roll and they thought it was fun and we waved at each other through the wholes. Then one of the boys started using the mat to 'shoot' his friend. They started a small war in my classroom. Once shooting each other wasn't fun anymore they both turned their guns on me. I played along and had a very dramatic death. They came over to see if I was ok and I jumped up at them and they giggled with joy and ran away. We did this at least 5 more times until I had to take them back to class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment